Friday, September 7, 2007

A Date with Gravity

Tomorrow, thanks to the kind invitation of a client of mine at the bank, I will have the opportunity to face my own mortality and stare death in the eye from 14,000 feet. I'm going skydiving. Yes, most of you who read this probably think I'm crazy, but I can't helpt it. I get bored easily. I need a real adrenaline rush to keep things interesting. This will be my first jump, and if all goes well, I'm planning on pursuing my license. Something about throwing yourself out of a perfectly good airplane nearly three miles in the sky, free-falling at more than 120 MPH for more than 60 seconds, and then cruising in for a soft landing seems irressistible to me.

Everyone I've told of my plans has replied with something along the lines of "Why would you want to do that?" The first thing that came to mind when posed that question was a quote from a great adventurer, Sir Edmund Hillary (for the ignorant readers among you, he was the first man to climb Mount Everest, also a future goal of mine). He simply replied to his critics, "Because it is there." Along those same lines, I'd like to tell you all who question my logic and motivation in making this decision, I'm doing it because I can, "because it is there".

I'll post about this exhilirating experience as soon as I've completed it, which should be sometime late tomorrow afternoon (assuming I live).

No comments: