Monday, November 19, 2007

The Absense: Days 1 & 2

We as humans all have our own ideas, beliefs and opinions on everything imaginable, from one's view on a particular ethical debate, to how one takes one's coffee - if one even takes coffee at all. Love - and all additional emotions that come along with it - is not immune from this. It means something different to everyone. One could stand out on a street corner in a metropolitan area and ask 100 different passing pedestrians to define love, and receive 100 unique responses. One's definition of love can change as well, as it can be influenced by the events which one experiences in everyday life. We are, quite simply, products of our environment.

On Saturday, November 17th, my personal definition of love changed. It became more specific and circumstantially focused. If someone asked me today "What is love?", the following would be my reply:

Love is watching a plane go across a map on your computer screen for 14.5 hours.

Let me explain. Before the sun ever came up Saturday morning, I put my girlfriend of approximately two months on an airplane bound for Tokyo, Japan - essentially the other side of the world. Since the inception of our relationship we've spent very little time apart, seeing each other at least a few minutes every day except two. That may strike some of you as excessive, but for us it works. So when she told me she'd be gone for 9 days, I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do with myself and, as it turns out, I was right. If I learned anything this past weekend, it's that all the football and basketball one guy can watch could never fill the void of having the person you care so much about (and whom you know reciprocates those feelings) by your side.

And, if I learned anything else, it's that my true feelings have been confirmed during her absense.

I'm in love.

No comments: