Friday, December 7, 2007

Love is Frustrating


No one ever said love is easy. In fact, it's pretty damn difficult some days. Don't get me wrong, however. There are days where the tides of love ebb and flow naturally and you and her/him are metaphorically skipping hand in hand through a field of daisies, butterflies and sunshine. Sometimes this emotional high can be so high one might easily confuse it with a scene from a Disney movie of yesteryear - Sleeping Beauty or Cinderella for example. You know what I mean. The two of you kiss and suddenly the flowers around you instantly turn to full bloom and all the animals in the forest come out of hiding to frolic with you; the deer playful, the birds in harmonious song. Those are the days you live for. They're the ones you cherish..the ones you hold on to.

Unfortunately from time to time you hit a bump. Maybe a miscommunication occurs, one party isn't getting what they want out of the relationship, schedules conflict, or whatever the case may be. Compromises have to be made. The fact that you are both willing to argue and not only voice your concerns but acknowledge and address the concerns of your partner is actually healthy for the relationship.

Perhaps I have a distorted view of what a relationship is supposed to be. Everything doesn't happen like it does in the movies, regardless of how much the passion and idealism I bring to the relationship influences it, or how much I want it to be that way. I'm very aware it may all be very cliched, but I don't want the newness to wear off. I want every time to feel like the first time. I want the passion to always be there. I don't want to just "go through the motions", as they say. It has to be special, otherwise it's just a waste of time and an exhaustion of emotion. Full-fledged, unabashed love is the only thing worth pursuing. Here's to the pursuit.

No comments: