So, I took a few days to gather my thoughts on this, my list of maxims to live by, and I thought I'd share them here with you. I'll keep it short and simple today.
1) Be myself, unabashedly so. If you don't like who I am, fine, that's your problem.
2) Take chances, take lots of them. No one ever did anything great while worrying about the consequences.
3) Be brutally honest. Don't sugarcoat anything. Call a spade a spade. Either people can take it or they can't, but they'll respect you more for your honesty.
4) Stop being TOO NICE. Sure, be nice, be a gentleman. But if someone does something that pisses you off, call them on it.
5) Don't be a doormat just because a woman has a vagina. This one should be self-explanatory.
6) Put myself before others. Be a bit selfish sometimes. I've worried about others and done everything I can for everyone I care about for too long, while asking for nothing in return. Being selfless has a price. Sometimes that price is pain, and the sacrifice of my own happiness.
7) Don't feel sorry for myself. No excuses.
8) If I want something, go get it. Want my novel - and the ones that will follow to be bestsellers? Put in the extra effort. Want to date a ten? Ask and ye shall receive. No one ever got anything they wanted simply by wishing for it, it took action.
9) Don't overthink a situation to the point of making it more difficult than it is. Keep it simple.
10) To build off of #9, don't think at all sometimes. Have fun without worrying about the outcome.
I think all of these are very valuable ideas and methods to live by. I think that following them as closely as possible should improve my life overall. What do you think?