Friday, February 22, 2008

Clouded Head, But Thoughts of Clarity on Love

All our young lives we search for someone to love. Someone who makes us complete. We choose partners and change partners. We dance to a song of heartbreak and hope. All the while wondering if somewhere, somehow, there's someone who might be searching for us. Finding that person is a glorious feeling, let me assure you. It is a high that cannot be accomplished through the administration of any narcotic, legal or otherwise. I found that person, that someone, my Carolina girl. And you know what? I love her; I love her with every ounce of my being. Is she perfect? No, but neither am I - far from it. I'm the guy who never stops fighting for what he wants, what he believes in, what he knows is right. And right now, I'm paying for the sins and misdeeds of another. So be it. It won't last, and Lord knows I'm patient. Yet whenever I find myself in these uncertain type of positions, I can't help but ask "Why me?" and "Again?" I suppose it's going to have to take me dying before the big man upstairs gives me an answer to those queries. They're 1A and 1B on my list of things to remember to ask.

I am no one special. Just a common man with common thoughts; just Patrick. And I've led a common life thus far. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will be forgotten sooner rather than later. I'll probably never be famous. But in one respect, I have succeeded as gloriously as anyone who's ever lived. I've loved another with all my heart and soul and, for me, that has always been enough.

Heather, I love you.

No comments: